The Bible recognizes matrimony as a holy union between two people who provide love, companionship, and support for each other. As such, many verses in the Bible reflect this thought. Here’s a selection of some such verses –
- 1 Peter 4:8 – “Above all, keep loving one another earnestly since love covers a multitude of sins.”
Love is forgiveness. You must be forgiving towards your spouse to get forgiveness for yourself. You can’t expect to be forgiven and then withhold your forgiveness.
- Mark 10:9 – “Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”
The Bible perceives marriage as an unbreakable bond. Marriage should not be treated lightly; it should be given the gravitas it deserves.
- Colossians 3:13-14 – “Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.”
Yet another verse that stresses on the importance of forgiveness in marriage. Jesus Christ forgave humanity for its sin. Forgiveness is a virtue and those who can forgive are truly blessed.
- Corinthians 16:14 – “Do everything in love.”
Love can cure every problem under the sun. All you need to do is be patient with your spouse even when they are being unreasonable. There isn’t any hurdle that love can’t overcome.
- Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 – “Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two till withstand him – a threefold cord is not quickly broken.”
The third cord is God, who resides within marriage. Man is stronger when a woman supports him. You may spend life unwed, but a life where you have a spouse by you is better.